Monday, February 28, 2011

Tawni O'Dell - Back Roads


I finished this novel for 3 days. This is the first novel that I’ve read from a female author since I’m more into thriller type. What caught my attention was the “Book Oprah’s Club” seal printed on the cover. The story is about an orphaned family led by Harley Altmyer, aged 19. Her mom was in jail for killing their dad and all the responsibility of being a parent was taken by Harley who has two jobs to make ends meet. The author did a great job of capturing his conflicts and stresses as he struggles to keep it together. The family secrets are intense and some scenes will make you uncomfortable because they violate a few taboos. The characterizations are vivid, narrative is too gripping and too real and each family member generates sympathy.The story itself is like a car wreck, devastation is all over it but you can’t help but look and ask why? I stayed up all weekend to finish it. I hope that the ending was different since he sacrificed so much and Harley is such a good person. He deserves to be saved or rewarded for all the things he'd done.

No comments:

Post a Comment